30 October 2007

Am I Having Mental Disoders?

Finally, I've finished my first two tests yesterday. They were going quite well. Anyway, I was nervous when I was in the exam hall. It was huge and I was lost for several times. Luckily, I was able to sit for the exam just on time. Yup. JUST ON TIME!
Fuhh... I had gone there for an hour earlier, but still late for it. Haha...

So, how are you guys? Doing well over there?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I still have 4 papers and I am preparing for them. As I was revising my psychology, I was surprised with this topic: Psychology Disorders.

As I am reading this topic, I found out that there are variety of disorders which are stated in DSM-IV-TR.

DSM- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. This is an American handbook for mental health professionals which is widely accepted classification scheme. It classifies, defines, and describes over 200 mental disorders.

I can imagine what are you thinking now. Your mind is thinking of the word "insane" don't ya? Haha.... Tell me if I am wrong. Well, for all this time I thought that normal people don't experience any symptoms of a psychological disorder.

Try this few questions (I found this in my book):
  • Have you always feel tensed or depressed or anxious?
  • Have you ever worried excessively?
  • Been fearful to something that you know rationally that could not harm you?
  • Had thought about suicide? (I hope not)
  • Used drugs or alcohol to escape from drugs? (Please don't)
  • Shouting all the way to express your stress or anger?
I believe everyone of us will answer yes to at least one of these questions. This shows that everyone experienced the symptoms of a psychological disorder.
Gosh! I don't believe this! I am not!

As I am reading this topic, I find out that I am experiencing the anxiety disorders (a type of psychological disorders). There are five big categories in this anxiety disorders: Generalized anxiety disorder, phobic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

  • Generalized anxiety disorder- a person who feels anxious or worried most of the time for at least 6 months, when not threaten by any specific danger.
  • Panic Disorder - Experience unexpected, severe panic attacks that may last only a minutes. This attacks begin with a feeling of intense apprehension, fear, or terror.
  • Phobias - Suffer from a persistent and irrational fear of a specific object, activity or situation that is excessive and unreasonable given the reality of the threat.
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder - experiencing an unwanted invasion of consciousness repetitively.
  • Post-traumatic Stress disorder - Persistent re-experience of traumatic events through distressing recollections, dreams, hallucinations or dissociative flashbacks. (rape,severe injury, life-threatening events and natural disasters.)
Resources:
Gerrig, R. J. & Zimbardo P. G. (2006). Psychology and Life (18th eds). United States: Pearson Education, Inc.

What I've found out in myself?

Curryegg:
  • Feeling worried and anxious all the time for my mid-term exam - Generalized anxiety disorder
  • Having a great fear and terror for exams and assignments ever since I am a student - Panic disorder
  • Shivering whenever I think about the exam paper. I couldn't even see it! Take it away.. shu..shuh.... - Phobic disorder
  • Keep on thinking and worrying for my exam - Obsessive-compulsive disorder
  • Feeling afraid of the word 'exam' and 'homework' ever since I was in secondary school. They keep 'hunting' me.... wuuooooo- post-traumatic disorder?
Oopss.. What am I suppose to do?

Gosh! This is scary!

I am having mental disorders now. Muahaha.... But hey! I am still normal (I guess so.. haha..). This is just the normal stage and I believe most of us especially students will face this. Students who wish to achieve good result will of course facing stress but just don't push yourself too hard. We need to balance ourselves by having some relaxation moments for example take some walks at the park, do some sports like swimming or doing something that you enjoy the most for example blogging just like what I am doing now. Hahaha....

Relax....

Actually I am giving myself some reasons to blog. That's why I am here now. Kekekzz..
Anyway, it's good that I can do some revisions about psychology here and at the same time sharing this information with you guys. Okok... I am going to off now. Don't mumble me anymore.. *begging*

Last word: It's normal to feel stress in our lives no matter in work, family, relationship, studies or etc. However, we should be wise in controlling it. Otherwise, you will end up in Tanjung Rambutan,a mental hospital in Malaysia. Lol...